Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Beginning of a Fairytale

This blog is ultimately to write about my journey to Mommyhood and my precious Bella growing in my belly, but there would be no Bella for us without the man in my life and the love that we have. So, I think that it is important to recognize our story right from the get-go.
I met my prince charming in January of 2007 at the bank we were both working for at the time. It was my first day of training, and I knew not a soul in Salem since I had just moved there with my family from Albany that previous November. I was walking towards my training class, and there he was, coming in to start his shift for the day. I know it is cliche and you hear it all the time, but it was love at first sight. Everything went into slow motion and he was the only person I could see in that crowded hallway. I was love struck, and to confirm the emotion running through my veins I ran right into a concrete pillar, planting me flat on my rear in front of this large crowd. Mortified and confused, I looked up at him, felt the fire in my cheeks and throbbing head, and ran into my training room with my tail between my legs. Despite my humiliation, and the goose egg on my noggin, I was hooked and I never looked back. We exchanged phone numbers a few days later, and from there it was history.
We couldn't get enough of each other's conversation and would stay up until 3 am on the phone just getting to know more about one another. We had so much in common, and at the same time were worlds apart on other topics; that was never a fear for me though because I wanted to learn from him and also teach him about some of my own passions. I loved that he was a photographer with a free spirit, and my poetry and paintings kept him guessing. Two artists make beautiful colors together.
He began taking me on dinner dates, keeping things slow, but as soon as he started introducing me to his friends and family, I knew this was it. There was never a doubt in my mind, no matter how afraid of commitment he was, that we would get married someday. It's true when they say that you just know when you have found the one.
Through the last few years Spencer has had to take on a lot of new responsibility with becoming my beau. Not only in being my support during hard times, but also in being open to help my family when the time called for it..and most of the time those calls came at 2 in the morning. I have a younger brother who is autistic and we have climed mountains to get him where he is today. One of Taylor's fall backs was fleeing when he began to flood with any kind of emotion, usually being anger, frustration, or confusion. Autism will never be fully understood, but one thing that we all understood about Tay is that he could run, and he could run far. Spencer found a special place in his heart for Taylor, and each and every time he ran, Spencer was the first one out on the streets to look for him. He would search for hours and always coax Taylor to climb in his jeep and take him where he needed to go. Sometimes that meant home, and other times it meant to a hospital to keep him safe.
As heartbreaking as it was to see my brother and my parents go through such a saddening stress, it was situations like these that made me look at Spencer in a whole different light and really fall in love with that man in the driver's seat. Most boyfriends would be put off by such a situation, but not Spencer. He wanted nothing more than to be there with open arms and even more, an open heart.
We went on a trip to Disneyland with Spencer's family this last October, and it was a trip I will never forget. All 18 of us flew down, stayed at a gorgeous little hotel, and spent 3 days in the happiest place on earth. We walked around all of the streets of Disney just so happy and full of light. As family oriented as the park is, I feel that Disney adds an element of classic romance to any day you spend there with the one that you love. Spencer proved that, and on October 22nd Spencer asked me to grow old with him and be his wife in front of Cinderella's castle. He knew that was my dream, and he made sure it came true. I cried, and I laughed, and I jumped into his arms like I never have before. I took in every element of that moment. The smells of the warm air and hot churros for sale. The sounds of laughing children running to the next world and find their favorite character. Feeling Spencer whisper into my ear that he loves me more than anything in the whole wide world, and that I am his hummingbird. To this day, I still get chills.
As thankful as I am for becoming a mommy, I am first thankful that I found my Spencer. I am thankful to fall asleep on his chest every night hearing his heartbeat and feel his fingers in my hair, and I smile every morning waking up to him snuggled at my side with his hand on my growing belly. This is the man who taught me how to live and not simply exhist. I learned the true ways of love, and what it feels like to have someone love you no matter how frizzy your hair is when you wake up. I love knowing he is my Daddy Bear and I am his Hummingbird. But most of all, I love knowing that after all these years of holding my hand and walking as two, he is going to be the man on the other side of our little Bella holding her hand and walking as three.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog of love brought me to near tears. I am so happy that u shared this story and I too have a new appreciation for Spencer. U have yourself quite the catch and u totally deserve it. I wish you two nothing but sheer happiness from this point forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww.... you always have had a way with words. You have always loved to write. That makes you a lot like your mama I would say. I am proud of you two and I am excited to be on this journey with both of you. Blessings to you on the path ahead. I am excited for you to hold little Bella Bean and know... the exact same feeling the moment I held you. There is NO GREATER LOVE as a parent and their child. I know you get it... but you will get it so much more when she is laying in your arms for the first time. Her first words, her first steps, her first cries, her first boo boos, her first day of school, losing her first tooth... shall I go on. And odd as it seems, there will be a day that you are anxiously awaiting to hold Bella's first born. You will sit and be anxious... another chapter in life. For now though... get ready to just enjoy her. ~Mom...

    ReplyDelete